Please note that our team has embraced a hybrid model for our five-day work week, with two synchronous days in the office and three days wherever you work best. This role is based in New York City and will join our team in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most weeks.
You are an empathetic design practitioner who focuses on deep human needs and translating insights into compelling and accessible communications and experiences. You have a strong foundation in branding and visual design, as well as supporting skills or interests in design research, user experience design, and/or service design. No matter what role you play, you strive to bring thoughtful and strategic design inputs to every engagement.
Whether you are creating a visual identity system, user interface, template, or workshop artifact, you believe design is as much about behavior and emotion as it is about utility and ease of use.
You care about the impact your work has on the world, and are excited to work with a consulting firm as a well-rounded design expert.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Bring the magic. Use design approaches to strategically express daring ideas, and transform programs and initiatives into movements. Apply design principles and practices at Luminary Labs to advance our work from good to great.
- Tell powerful stories. Use the power of visual storytelling to bring daring ideas to life. Translate findings into visual identity systems, infographics, illustrations, social media assets, and other tangible mediums that align audiences and stakeholders toward desirable outcomes for the future.
- Champion accessible design practices. Create clear and inclusive visual identity systems, experiences, and tools. Advocate for accessible design practices and standards across teams and workflows.
- Design for user needs. Lead user research and testing initiatives that can translate learnings into design decisions. Develop insights and implications that shift perceptions and place human needs at the center. Transform concepts into user-friendly, accessible, and delightful design experiences, collaborating with the project team from ideation to final production and launch.
- Build capacity.Share your skills and knowledge with other members of the team. Mentor others in design approaches and bring them along with you in the design process.
- 3-5 years of professional branding and visual design experience, with complementary expertise and/or interest in design research, user experience design, or service design. Experience with open innovation approaches, workshop design and facilitation, and/or foresight methodologies is an asset.
- Undergraduate or master’s degree in visual design, user experience design, service design, or equivalent experience.
- Advanced proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Figma and Adobe Creative Suite. You can apply strong typography, layout, and design fundamentals across a range of tools and platforms, including editable documents and platforms such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- Experience and/or interest in developing and executing design research initiatives, including recruiting, writing screeners, developing discussion guides, conducting interviews, and synthesizing findings.
- Experience in concepting and prototyping (from low to high fidelity). Demonstrated expertise in wireframing, information architecture, and visual communication.
- Deep expertise in designing accessible and inspiring experiences, including an understanding of how to create 508-compliant communications and interactions. Bring an equity and accessibility lens to every engagement.
- Strong client services, people management, and communication skills. Experience advocating for users and articulating design intent to teams and clients. Teach and mentor others in design skills, approaches, and processes to build capacity and strengthen the extended team’s skillset.
The total compensation package for this role includes a base salary in the range of $95,000 to $110,000 plus a discretionary annual performance bonus. The starting salary for this role is at the lower bound of the salary range; an individual’s starting salary will depend on the individual’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Apply with a resume, a cover letter, and a thoughtful selection of your work in a portfolio.
Let us know your availability for employment. You may also provide us with examples of your own work or thinking online (blog posts, speaking engagements, social profiles).
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S. No recruiting agencies, please.
We invest in the benefits that matter.
- Competitive compensation and formal bonus structure
- Health benefits package (80% of premium is covered for health, dental, and vision)
- Competitive vacation package
- Paid family leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Pre-tax transit check
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Education stipend and growth opportunities
- Charitable donation matching
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored