Director, Future of Work and Education
This role will engage with federal, foundation, and private-sector leaders at the forefront of K-12 and adult education, lead multidisciplinary teams with deep expertise in open innovation, and launch groundbreaking programs that meet the demands of the economy and prepare learners for the 21st-century workforce.
Our open innovation practice was established to identify and accelerate innovative solutions on behalf of our clients. To date, we have been responsible for designing and developing more than 30 open innovation programs, representing over $40 million in cash prizes. Our education engagements include pilots and prize competitions that address themes such as adult education, pre-apprenticeship, career pathway exploration, competency-based education, and cybersecurity workforce development, as well as novel methods for transferring skill sets, such as open educational resources (OERs), edtech, making, and simulations.
This is a full-time role in New York City reporting to the President. The Director will oversee project teams that include Engagement Managers, Senior Associates, and Associates, and will collaborate with Design & Insights, Communications, and Content & Community leads.
Please note that our team has embraced a hybrid model for our five-day work week, with two synchronous days in the office and three days wherever you work best. This role is based in New York City and will join our team in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most weeks.
About youYou are known for your strategy chops and strong client EQ, having worked with and for leaders as a trusted advisor. You care deeply about making your clients successful and have been looking for a career path that is both high-performance and high-impact.
You are curious about the world around you and love connecting stakeholders across ecosystems to deepen impact. You are excited about the potential of open innovation to address problems that matter in the future of work and education.
You know how to inspire teams to design and execute high-quality and high-impact work. You are a leader who empowers your team to achieve excellence. People love working with you and for you. They know you’ve got their backs. You have a positive, can-do attitude. You thrive in a small, collaborative environment where senior leaders provide hands-on support and feedback to ensure the quality of deliverables and shape the ongoing development of the team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Own Luminary Labs’ future of work and education portfolio. Oversee our book of business in the education sector. Inspire and guide the development of our open innovation programs and ensure successful outcomes. Deepen insights, drive the team to the big idea, provide strategic guidance, and ensure we exceed client expectations.
- Client service. Be a trusted advisor to our clients. Guide difficult conversations with authority and empathy. Understand the client context and implications for our programs.
- Program and project management. Own the P&L for the book of business. Ensure workplan meets the requirements of the project. Identify external considerations and potential conflicts. Ensure consistent, high-quality execution.
- People leadership. Help grow the team through ongoing professional development, thoughtful feedback, and coaching. Commit to and support our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- Thought leadership. Identify key nodes in any given industry network, participate in industry events, stay abreast of relevant news and trends, tap into the network to drive value for our clients, and contribute to thought leadership work.
- Business development and recruitment. Lead the development of new proposals and pitches, and deepen the value we provide to existing clients. Support company growth by participating in the ongoing recruitment of talent.
- 8-10+ years of experience; at least 4-5 years of working in client services with clients who trust you implicitly.
- MBA or equivalent experience.
- Proven leadership; ability to build and inspire a team, and passion for the career trajectory of those around you.
- Proven experience inspiring and guiding the strategy, design, and execution of high-quality and impactful programs; comfort doing so in the presence of constraints.
- Proven experience guiding the development of high-quality, client-ready deliverables across a range of formats.
- Stellar communication and presentation skills with a high EQ, demonstrating an ability to strike the right tone with clients.
- Ability to serve as a thought partner to clients, connecting dots to deepen insights; experience finding, connecting to, and developing relationships with external stakeholders.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Good technological literacy and ability to quickly navigate the full functionality of tools such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Dropbox, Google Docs, and Slack.
- Ability to structure thinking in an easy-to-follow manner.
- Flexibility, adaptability, pragmatism, and agility.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience in education, workforce development, future of work, and/or open innovation is a plus, but not required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via the online application form. Included in your cover letter, please provide:
- Three examples of ideas, companies, or teams you consider to be at the forefront of innovation (with bonus points for examples connected to education and the future of work).
- One or two brief stories that illustrate your approach to management and leadership.
- Availability for full-time employment.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. No recruiting agencies, please.
We invest in the benefits that matter.
- Competitive compensation and formal bonus structure
- Health benefits package (80% of premium is covered for health, dental, and vision)
- Competitive vacation package
- Paid family leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Pre-tax transit check
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Education stipend and growth opportunities
- Charitable donation matching
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored