This role will engage with federal and foundation leaders at the forefront of secondary and post-secondary education, lead multidisciplinary teams with deep expertise in open innovation, and launch groundbreaking programs that meet the demands of the economy and prepare students for the 21st-century workforce.
Our open innovation practice was established to identify and accelerate innovative solutions on behalf of our clients. To date, we have been responsible for designing and developing over 30 open innovation programs, representing $20 million in cash prizes. Our education engagements include pilots and prize competitions that address themes such as adult education, pre-apprenticeship, career pathway exploration, competency-based education, and cybersecurity, as well as novel methods for transferring skill sets, such as open educational resources (OERs), edtech, making, and simulations.
This is a full-time role in New York City reporting to the President.
About youYou are known for your strategy chops and strong client EQ, having worked with and for leaders as a trusted advisor. You care deeply about making your clients successful and have been looking for a career path that is both high-performance and high-impact.
You are passionate about education and workforce development. You are curious about the world around you, and love connecting stakeholders across ecosystems to deepen impact. You are excited about the potential of open innovation to address problems that matter in education and the future of work.
You know how to inspire teams to design and execute high-quality and high-impact work. You are a leader who empowers your team to achieve excellence. People love working with you and for you. They know you’ve got their backs. You have a positive, can-do attitude and thrive in a small, collaborative environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Own Luminary Labs’ education portfolio. Oversee our book of business in the education sector. Inspire and guide the development of our open innovation programs and ensure successful outcomes. Deepen insights, drive the team to the big idea, provide strategic guidance and ensure we exceed client expectations.
- Client service. Be a trusted advisor to our clients. Guide difficult conversations with authority and empathy. Understand the client context and implications for our programs.
- Program and project management. Own the P&L for the book of business. Ensure workplan meets the requirements of the project. Identify external considerations and potential conflicts. Ensure consistent, high-quality execution.
- Connect the dots. Identify key nodes in any given industry network, participate in industry events, stay abreast of relevant news and trends, tap into the network to drive value for our clients, and contribute to thought leadership work.
- Drive business growth.Lead the development of new open innovation proposals and pitches, and deepen the value we provide to existing clients. Support company growth by participating in the ongoing recruitment of talent.
- Nurture the team. Help grow the team through ongoing professional development, thoughtful feedback, and coaching. Commit and support our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- 8-10+ years of experience; at least 4-5 years of working with clients who trust you implicitly; experience in education, workforce development, and/or open innovation is a plus.
- MBA or equivalent experience.
- Proven leader who knows how to build and inspire a team; passionate about the career trajectory of those around you.
- Proven experience inspiring and guiding the strategy, design and execution of high-quality and impactful programs; comfortable doing so in the presence of constraints.
- Ability to connect dots to deepen insights; experience finding, connecting to, and developing relationships with external stakeholders.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Stellar communication and presentation skills with a high EQ, demonstrating an ability to strike the right tone with clients.
- Good technological literacy and ability to quickly navigate the full functionality of tools such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Dropbox, Google Docs, and Slack.
- Ability to structure thinking in an easy-to-follow manner.
- Are super-flexible, adaptable, realistic, practical, and agile.
- Thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Follow the link below to apply. The application asks for a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please provide 1) three examples of ideas, companies, or teams you consider to be at the forefront of innovation in education and the future of work; 2) one or two brief stories that illustrate your approach to management and leadership; and 3) availability for full-time employment.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. No agencies, please.
Investing in people is a high priority.
- Competitive compensation and formal bonus structure
- Health benefits package (80% of premium is covered for health, dental, and vision)
- Competitive vacation package
- Paid family leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Pre-tax transit check
- Cell-phone reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Education stipend and growth opportunities
- Charitable donation matching
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored