Director, Future of Health
This role will engage with commercial and public-sector leaders at the forefront of health and technology, and lead multidisciplinary teams to accelerate innovation and launch groundbreaking programs.
The work might take many forms — including advisory, prototyping, piloting, program design and delivery, and nontraditional incentive methodologies such as accelerators and prizes. The ideal candidate has experience helping large incumbent organizations like pharma, payers, and delivery systems partner with early stage startups and technologies to shape the future of health.
Over the last 15 years, Luminary Labs has helped life sciences and health organizations — including the largest integrated healthcare system in the U.S.— innovate while balancing near-term expectations. Representative engagements include strategy and advisory (measuring the impact of an improved experience on the vaccination rate, making a smarter bet on digital health) and bringing products to life (prototyping software and hardware solutions). Our open innovation engagements include Mission Daybreak, a $20 million grand challenge advancing behavioral health tech to reduce Veteran suicides and a $100 million partnership with BARDA to improve pandemic preparedness and accelerate new vaccine technologies.
This is a full-time role in New York City reporting to the Senior Director, Future of Health and Scientific Discovery.
Please note that our team has embraced a hybrid model for our five-day work week, with two synchronous days in the office and three days wherever you work best. This role is based in New York City and will join our team in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays most weeks.
You are known for your strategy chops and strong client EQ, having worked with and for leaders as a trusted advisor. You care deeply about making your clients successful and have been looking for a career path that is both high-performance and high-impact.
You are passionate about the intersection of health and technology, and know that bringing digital solutions to life requires an equal appreciation for strategy and agile execution. You are comfortable helping clients evaluate shiny objects and discover real opportunities to create value. You are excited to make moonshots real. You are curious about the world around you and love connecting stakeholders across ecosystems to deepen impact.
You know how to inspire teams to design and execute high-quality and high-impact work. You are a leader who empowers your team to achieve excellence. People love working with you and for you. They know you’ve got their backs. You have a positive, can-do attitude and thrive in small teams and collaborative environments. You are equally inspired by leading the people and managing the work.
Roles and Responsibilities
- 8-10+ years of experience; at least 4-5 years of working with clients who trust you implicitly; experience in digital health and emerging technologies is a plus.
- Proven experience inspiring and guiding the strategy, design, and execution of high-quality and impactful health engagements; comfortable doing so in the presence of constraints.
- High emotional intelligence. You can read a room, understand motivations and behaviors, and know what it takes to delight a client.
- Direct experience in one or more of the following is required: strategy formation, design research, prototyping, accelerators, and/or open innovation.
- Dialed into the health tech community; ability to connect dots to deepen insights; experience finding, connecting to, and developing relationships with external stakeholders.
- Proven leader who knows how to build and inspire a team; passionate about the career trajectory of those around you.
- MBA or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Stellar communication and presentation skills, demonstrating an ability to strike the right tone with clients.
- High level of technological literacy and ability to quickly navigate the full functionality of tools such as Google Suite, Microsoft Office and Teams, Zoom, and Slack.
- Ability to structure thinking in an easy-to-follow manner.
- Super-flexible, adaptable, realistic, practical, and agile.
- Thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
The total compensation package for this role includes a base salary in the range of $150,000 to $190,000 plus a discretionary annual performance bonus. The starting salary for this role is at the lower bound of the salary range; an individual’s starting salary will depend on the individual’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Follow the link below to apply. The application asks for a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please provide 1) three examples of ideas, companies, or teams you consider to be at the forefront of innovation in health; 2) one or two brief stories that illustrate your approach to management and leadership; and 3) availability for full-time employment.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. No recruiting agencies, please.
We invest in the benefits that matter.
- Competitive compensation and formal bonus structure
- Health benefits package (80% of premium is covered for health, dental, and vision)
- Competitive vacation package
- Paid family leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Pre-tax transit check
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Education stipend and growth opportunities
- Charitable donation matching
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored